1st year students invited to re-fill online form, sloppy data transition | Nagpur News


Nagpur: Nagpur University’s new private agency MKCL (NU) has left hundreds of first-year students in a bind by having them fill out registration forms themselves.
Many parents and students as well as college officials are in panic as NU had set a deadline of December 8 to complete the registration process, which remains on hold due to technical issues.
The registration number is a unique student card, without which examination formalities cannot be completed.
Recently, NU had brought down a private agency for the review work amid stiff opposition from several sides. The previous private agency, Promarc, kept the student’s data for new admissions in a different format.
Several colleges have complained to TOI that the exams section is reluctant to heed their advice regarding technical problems students are having. One of the main issues is that students have to upload images of their teaching materials, each file size up to 1MB. Previously, images up to 2MB could be uploaded.
Students and Colleges cannot view documents uploaded earlier when they cannot upload new ones. Additionally, colleges say there is no option to alert students in case their form is rejected by them.
Vice-Chancellor SR Chaudhari and Director of Examinations and Assessment Prafulla Sabale did not respond to calls and messages from TOI. Until Tuesday evening, it was not clear whether the deadline would be extended.
RG Tale, secretary of the Principals’ Forum, said the university will have to extend the deadline because a huge amount of work is pending.
“The time limit was the biggest mistake. The university issued a letter on December 4 asking colleges that the conversion of registration data from Promarc to MKCL should be completed by December 8. But the university has kept the colleges away. There is no guarantee that students have received the link sent to their registered cell phone number. Students keep changing their numbers, many face internet problems, many others do not have smartphones. These things weren’t taken into consideration when making the sudden decision, Tale said.
Tale added that the new format was rolled out without proper training or back-up. “Even those who can see the link and log in to the portal cannot see the documents,” he said.
A university official said they had more than 1,000 students facing similar problems. “Most of them made wrong entries, moreover the education certificates are not visible. In this case, the college rejects the request. But the students are not getting an alert, ”the official said.
Tale said the whole process needs to be done by the college, not the students.

FacebookTwitterLinkedinE-mail