New Delhi, November 12 (IANS): A recent nationwide survey showed internet use has doubled over the past four years, and the Covid-induced lockdown has contributed significantly to the increase in demand for connectivity.
âAt least 38% of those who needed health services during the lockdown used online / telemedicine consultations. But most still relied on face-to-face,â the survey found.
Of those who needed access to health services during the pandemic, 65% of those with internet access were able to access healthcare, while only 52% without the internet were able to access healthcare.
Among the population aged 15 to 65, 49% reported using the internet, compared with only 19% of the population aged 15 to 65 reporting the same at the end of 2017.
This translates to 61% of households in 2021 using the Internet, compared to 21% in 2017.
The survey showed that more than 130 million users logged on in 2020 and 2021. Of the nearly 80 million who started using the internet in 2020, 43% or more than 34 million said they had started doing so. because of the needs brought on by the Covid crisis. .
On the issue of teleworking during confinement, only 10% of employees were able to work remotely. The highest percentages were in the finance, insurance, information technology, public administration and other professional services categories.
A total of 64 percent of all households with enrolled school-aged children had Internet access while the remaining 36 percent did not have access, according to the report.
Among households with internet, 31% of children were likely to receive distance education in some way, while only 8% of households without internet reported receiving some kind of distance education.
The survey was conducted by LIRNEasia, a regional think tank working on digital policy issues in Asia-Pacific, and ICRIER, an economic policy think tank based in New Delhi.